9/12/10

racing the battery

sitting at a local sports bar, just finished watching the Bears beat the Lions with the referee's help, drinking my 4th Oberon and playing beat the battery with my laptop.  I love Sundays in fall.  Chicago sports make all inconsistencies and frustrations seem doable.  Coach Lovie may not be loved by the best city in my world, but Brian Urlacher sure deserves my pedestal pushing today...can you say sack master?
Sitting by myself, but not alone, in a room filled with Detroit Lions fans, watching bad calls lead to a good start for the blue and orange.  Chicago rocks!  But I am researching a different city today: Seattle.  Jeff (husband) invited me to meet him in this northwest coast domain after his trip to China touches down in the US in a couple weeks.  Brother James lives in Seattle and he told me I could choose whatever I wanted to do or see or be while visiting.  Pikes Place Market.  Seattle Art Museum with Picasso's collection.  Alexander Calder's Eagle outdoor sculpture, to add photos to my chicago Calder flamingo visit.  I like collecting.  Local music and local coffee and local gay bars...yes my brother in law is gay.  All good choices.  All good reasons to live.

Battery lower, must finish beer and get outa' here before laptop explodes....

why do bartenders put an orange slice on the edge of a glass of Oberon?  The beer may look orange but it's not orange flavor.  doesn't stop me from drinking it, btw.

son is angry.  many loud complaints at our innocent dog.  audible and angry and unnecessary.  I try to talk to him...calmly, patiently.  I approach him with care and confidence....and I leave him with steam shooting outa' my ears and breathing expletives as I quickly walk toward the far end of our house.  What will kill this kid?  his anger.  what will cure my son?  peace.  He lives like I used to in my decade of depression.  Did I teach him how to negate?  Did I ignore him so much as a child that I branded his soul with doubt?  He's 18 years old and acts like he's 8.  He's a senior in high school and continues to tell himself that subjects don't matter...core classes are a waste of his time...he'll never use grammar or algebra or economics in his future.  This perspective does not originate with me.  I loved school, could be a career student.  I could also master a foreign language while high.  He is not me.  I am not my son.

battery dead...bye for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the the BC Lions that the Bears beat? (These days beating the BC Lions is not hard at all.)
Sorry things are still rough with your son. When my SS was that age and being difficult I would have strangled anyone that said it was "just a phase" or "part of being that age", but as trite as it sounds, it really is an odd life stage to try to get through. My SS has just decided (finally) what he wants to do in school, and while I am happy and all, I hate that I am still thinking, "until the next thing comes along and you change your mind". Hang in there. - G

~L said...

G~
Detroit Lions...I live in Michigan and root for Chicago teams so I expect a few rumbles on game day. I welcome them, actually :)

About JT, I agree with the phase thing to a point. Working in psych nursing now, I'm seeing his struggles from a new angle and attempting to use tools learned in my trainings. I pray often for his brain to absorb our positive examples and store it for future use. "they" say that when he's ready to walk forward he will. We see signs of life, albeit very gradual and inconsistently implemented. Thank you for your support. I need to hear what worked and didn't from families who've appeared on the other side of this challenge. On the other hand, I fail to write about our daughter, Caitlan, who is ambitiously enjoying her junior year at Michigan State University.
Thinking about you...hoping you're well.
~L