1/1/10

october musings, 2009

Today I was not impressed by what I saw in my kitchen: two males jockeying for the position of almighty rightness. What is the issue with being right and proving so? Humility demonstrates intelligence and empathy breathes compassion. Is that so difficult to remember or is the alpha male's throne the main attraction?

As I sit in the next room and listen to the ridiculousness of the 15 minutes of debate...over how to be right, I breathe deeply and pray that God intervenes this time. I've done my time with these two and my lessons have obviously been lost in translation. My only resort now is to model how I believe family should behave. You would think that one adult and one almost adult would have some recognition of enough is enough. Or at least know how to walk away for a time out. The cycle of poor choices and earned time-outs...as if they were 3 year olds!

What were they debating, you may ask? Physics homework. Where to do it, how to talk about it, how long they should work on it, who knows more about it, and who does it the RIGHT way! UUUUGGGHHH! I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy takes the football away...over and over.

And I never took Physics so I am not the logical choice for homework help. But if I was asked I would certainly focus on the task at hand and the young boy's self esteem and the strength it took him to ask me to intervene. These are big moves for him, and I know, from experience, how vulnerable one human heart can be when the mind talks negatively to you all day long.

No comments: