3/19/10

aftermath

Four days ago I sent out a proclamation to all my family and very close friends.  You read it too, "just one thing" post.  For some of my family members, this wasn't only an introduction to my recently discovered artistic passions, this manifesto was a warning flag.  I received a few calls and a few interesting questions about my mental health.  They have every right to worry.  They have every right to check up on me.  And I am thankful they did, and hope they do again.

No, I'm not melting down or dipping into the depressive dungeon.  My mind is clear.  No, I'm not taking street drugs, drinking beer with breakfast, collecting razors.  Yes, I am taking my Zoloft and vitamins and herbal supplements.  I'm sleeping, eating, crying, laughing, socializing, and getting outside.  All in a somewhat chaotic balance, but for me, just right.  In other words, I'm OK.

This is all about pulling up my proverbial bootstraps and digging into the fresh dirt around my roots.  Change is good, even if you don't agree with it.  Here's some Q & A that may be of interest:

"Why do you feel the need to share your innermost thoughts with strangers on the internet?"
 ~~Validation.  Encouragement.  Fellowship.  Education.  Opportunity.   Support.

"Why don't you just talk to your family, your friends, a professional?"
~~Please don't assume I'm not.

"You sound angry."
~~Some days I am angry.  Angry is a valid feeling.  But, no, I'm not angry in general.

"Is this another one of your passing phases?"
~~This is me. This excitement is a breakthrough which I explained in "just one thing."  My passion.  No sudden moves to an ashram.  No discard of my nursing skills.  Just a release of expression in writing and photography and my journey of their integration into life as I know it.

"Why did you copy your post to so many family and friends?"
 ~~I am sharing my love with you.  Simple.  This is how I roll.

"Do you realize that some recipients may misinterpret what you communicate?"
 ~~100% I do!  I know we have difference...of opinions, tastes, likes, expectations,  methods, communication, beliefs, values, behaviors, and how we interpret.  All I can say is, if you have a question, ask me.  If you have a concern, call me and we'll talk.  I respect you.


3 comments:

Chuck said...

"In other words, I'm OK."

You're far better than merely OK!

Anonymous said...

strangers are people, too, right? why not share your thoughts and feelings with them? i think it's good to communicate with people in as many ways as possible. it's how we grow.
i dunno, that question made me kinda tilt my head from side to side like a perplexed fox and ask "huh? why would someone ask her that?"

~L said...

Chuck~ in my world, being OK is relative (pun intended!).

V~ strangers are people too! The whole internet and privacy-becomes-public issue is foreign to some people in my life. Mom was worried about me because I didn't talk to her...mom's prerogative to worry about her children. I know.

Growth is good!