3/8/10

chicago, chagall, and choice

I'm still buzzing with energy from my trip to the big city.


Blogger friend, Serenityville, asked some important questions of her readers:

What do you wish you would do that you're not doing?

What are you doing that you absolutely love?

How have you found your passion, did it come naturally or have you searched for it, like me?

What have you done/seen/read or who have you met that has helped you figure it out?

 ...and these questions could have come straight outa' my brain this weekend as I was walking between skyscrapers with my telephoto lens leading my way.

I wish.  But wishing isn't supposed to be what I do daily.  Wishing is not adult-like or responsible.  I wish anyway.  I dream.  I wonder.  I may be the reincarnation of Alice in her land or Dorothy dancing towards Oz.  Flower child waving her arms at the farm party.  Barefoot and tie dyed.  Eyes closed and inhibitions absent.  Soul and face smiling out loud.  Tears.  

You know that your time is coming round~U2 
 

I love to write.  I love to share here.  I love my family.  I love my friends.  I love meaningful music and poignant poetry.  I love photographing the unexpected.  I love looking through my viewfinder, looking at the beautifully unknown.  I love to read other people.  I love that other people read me.  I love the little things, the details that may go unnoticed unless I write about them.  

I love creating my story...with words and photos and music and poetry.  I love looking out and I love my outlook.  I love changing into what I never thought I could become.  I love that my fingers are moving unconsciously right at this moment.   I love the salty tears that my eyes are trying not to release.  

I love Wilco songs.  


Truth shines from inside of me.  Can you see it?  see me?  all the things that I do?  Some people can.  Some people can't.  

 
I survive.  It's good enough for now.~Wilco

Searching still.  For passions dreamed and passions hidden and passions forgotten.  Some say my mind changes passions as often as my shuffled cd's.  Some say I have none.  Some say passions are unwarranted.  

I say LOOK AT ME, DAMN IT!  I'M ONE BIG GIANT PASSION!


Please don't be afraid.  My passions won't overtake yours.  My passions fill me, not you.  Sparks living inside my mind, passions.  Stars covering my eyelids when I sleep, passions.  Colors of the sky, passions.  My childrens' faces, passion.  Profound, real, true, loving, living...passion.

Oh how I search!  Oh what I've found!   Naturally sequestered passions, hidden from me as I struggled with the knots tied to my mind.  Hobbies begun in childhood.  Likes and dislikes, competing for position.  Puzzle pieces gone missing for years.  And look where I have landed!  In the land of "that's not me."  Think again kiddo.


 When I'm awake enough, I'm gonna' shake it off~Jeff Tweedy 

I wanna' be the sun you hear in your head~U2

I hear all of you.
I hear the truth and it sets me free.  
My truth, and it's not pretty.  My truth is muddy.


Many have influenced the ratio of water and dirt to create my muddy.  Many over these 43 years.  Some recently, some not.  Some willingly, some indirectly.
Books and albums and media and formal educators and informal education.  
All stating their opinions about what my hands should do.  Where my feet should walk.  

Who my heart should love.  
Why I live.


Some side with the leaves.  Some side with the seeds.~Wilco

Figuring it out.  What IT is, remains to be entirely seen.  The last three days IT has been Chicago.  Photography.  Perspective.  Options.  Art.  Architecture.  Sunshine.  Bean. Brother-in-law.  Elevation.  Trains.  Maps.  Mosaics.  Food.  Friend.  Fun.  Firsts.
 

I like.  I want.  I wish.  I am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this entry. The photographs are wonderful. The words so open and inspiring. Reminds me so much of how I feel in Tucson and the conclusions that such feelings have led me to about myself. Even your seemingly random yet unmistakably artistic photo shots are something I relate to. When you appreciate something so much, you see the things that no-one ese sees.
Enjoy your further adventures! ^_^

Chuck said...

Wonderful photos. Wonderful words. Masterful amalgamating of each into one entity mirroring you.

Shaunak Mukherjee said...

First visit and thoroughly enjoyed your photos as well as the little pieces that accompany them.
This is precisely why I'm dying to get a telephoto :D
Which one do you use?

Unknown said...

I love this post! And your blog. New faithful follower. I live in Chicago and so often forget how beautiful this city is. Half of the time I only notice the graffiti on the side of a building, or the black snow crusting on the sidewalk. With spring I usually rediscover why I love Chicago. Your pictures are as beautiful as your words.

~L said...

Thank you and welcome new friends, uncorked and Shaunak. Hoping I am able to inspire you in some small way.

@ shaunak: My telephoto lens is a cannon zoom EF-S 55-250mm, has manual and automatic focus options and stabilizer (which I think works pretty damn well with my cannon rebel xsi). I bought the lens for $100 when I purchased my camera with the kit lens, a limited time Cannon promotion...and I'll never regret spending over my budget!

happy shooting!