3/7/10

via Chicago

Sitting in a condo on the north side, surrounded by antiques and memorabilia. Buzzing from my day of sunshine and shooting and fresh air and friends.  Energy spilling from my city-fied pores.  No sleep for me and jim beam and ginger.  The three of us enjoying the fruit of our spoils.  Spoiled by the ease of adventure and the expectations of an adventerous spirit.  The spirit of city.

Growing up in the suburbs of the midwest's best city is a unique experience.  Living in the city as an available single is an opportunistic experience.  I almost bed down in my kinda' town.  Almost lived in the friendly confines of  Wrigley.  Almost made my move into adulthood via Chicago.  My story jumps from one man's house to another.  From dad to husband, no stops allowed.  No thoughts allowed.  Just do it.

My choices 21 years ago were God's.  Today I choose life.  This weekend I choose to go AWOL from my reality, from my family, from my responsibilities.  I choose to be alone and with my friend and standing on the slushy sidewalk staring at fire escapes through my telephoto lens.  Making choices about where to board the elevated train and how to get to the restaurant and which key fits the outside door of the building.

I love this life. 
Does it love me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love and miss the thrill and sense of freedom experienced by exploring the city atmosphere. this is why i'm so "homesick" now that i'm back in my "hometown."