4/15/10

Fresh perspective

I am re-posting an essay/letter I wrote four months ago, when I realized that I wanted to buy a digital camera and revive my photographic view.  This contains personal accounts of my childhood, however tame, but  if you (family) don't want to relive them with me, no worries.  


all photos taken from my yard
in the past week
front, back
high, low 
blessed to live 
in Michigan

fresh blooms

acting fresh!

fresh air
 freshen up the joint
fresh clouds

Photography...seeing is believing.

I started shooting as a grade-schooler.  Remember the multiple flashcubes on a stick?  The Kodak pocket camera with the winder to advance?  Then the Polaroid let us shake the card into a photo. I asked for cameras for Christmas and birthdays.  I filled albums with snapshots of our family at Disney in 1976.  I recall how the album pages crunched when I opened a space for our poses.  My brag book contained wallets of fourth grade friends whom I would not see again.  And shoe boxes have been filled ever since.

Dad started my addiction to peering.  He carried a heavy, black, delicate camera inside a felted, camera-shaped leather case on a long strap.  Every trip to Santa's Village or Lamb's Farm or the Milwaukee Zoo included the black strapped camera.  Dad's choice of developmental medium was slides.  I keep memories of the thrill I felt watching myself shine onto the blank living room wall, larger than life, and the anticipation of which pose would follow. I can hear the unique sounds:  the hum of the whirring motor, the clatter and crash of the tray locking onto the machine, the clicks of slides dropping into place, the snap of the remote controller.  I wanted to advance the slides, hold the small rectangular box in my hand and control the tempo of our show.  That job belonged to dad.  His perspective, his order, his show.

We three kids would sit on the carpet, legs crossed, patiently awaiting with our craned necks pointed at the blank wall.  Our home stills showcased family vacations and outings, Christmas mornings and New Year's Eve parties, out-of-state visitors, pool parties, neighborhood cook-outs, training wheels to two wheelers, the yellow duckling, calico cat, and white terrier, Mom's decorated homemade birthday cakes, stockings on the mantle, hand sewn Halloween costumes, egg hunts and Easter dress-up, Grandma's gathering porch, the Falls, the Dells, the zoo...the three musketeers lined up by age and size, on our bikes, in our sleeping bags, floating on rafts, riding on the carousel, snoozing in the back seat of the car, holding up our favorite gifts, holding hands, shading our eyes, saying cheese, waving, smiling...lots of smiling.

This week I realized how I can fill a crack or two in my perspective.  I'm going to shoot again.  And again.  And again.  Without conscious decision, I gave up my passion for searching.  Searching  for movement in the crowd,  for the unique within the ordinary,  for the spontaneity in the routine. And, most importantly,  searching within myself for more.

I dug out my telephoto lens.  The one I bought several years ago for the used Nikon my brother gave me.  Found 5 rolls of new film too.  Film!  The camera is a gem.  The clerk at the local camera shop enjoyed cleaning it for me.  I guess the glass lens is a rarity today and I should take good care.  The camera took good care of me.  Took me to places I didn't know existed.  Seeing is believing...the colors crisp, the movement clear, the expression tight, and the joy of giving away part of me.  My production signed, sealed, and delivered to any and all unsuspecting subjects.  Delightfully dabbling in the development of my talent.

So the camera started acting up or maybe it got sick.  I stopped.  I put the black parts into my leather satchel and placed it strategically at the back of my closet.  And my talent took a nap.   The old Nikon will stay put for a while.  She'll have the film to keep her company.  I'm moving my perspective into the next generation of convenience.

Much more to explore...digitally.

5 comments:

Bec said...

We sound a lot alike! I took my first photography class in 5th grade and shot with a little 10mm piece of junk. Then my dad passed down his old Canon 35mm and it still takes the most beautiful pictures, but it is hard to find film around here. My Nikon D40 is attached to me most of the time and I'm loving it!

Jen said...

Nice pictures, I like the one of the open window!

Shaunak Mukherjee said...

Awesome! I've been clicking for years too! It's the best innit?

Steve said...

Love it Lorraine!! Glad you are taking pictures again. I need to take my camera with me.

Thanks for reminding me.

Oh and I know you had the 4-fingers 5 thing. I'll check the date, still haven't looked at it. If it is a weekday or a Friday forget it. Lisa may go though.

I'll let you know.

ttyl

I love commenting like this on your site, cracks me up. Oh and hey, loved your comment from the other day on mine. I forgot to tell you.

Take it easy!!! :)

~L said...

please forgive my tardiness with my responses...

Bec: yes we do! I enjoy your blog photos as well.

Jen: thank you.

Shaunak: It is the best! (innit?) :)

Steve: I'm liking your shots this spring my friend.

peace and love,
~L